Thursday, July 26, 2007

Declining a Job Offer

When I began my job searching I didn't even hope to be in a situation where I would want or have to decline a job offer. As it turns out, I did get in such a position. I had to offers and obviously couldn't go to work 120 hours a week during busy season as an accountant so I needed to make a decision.

When I decided which job to accept and was able to enjoy the employers excitment at my choice, I still had to let the other firm know I wouldn't be able to join them. I wrote the hiring authority who had interviewed me and contacted me previously a letter thanking him for extending me an offer and voicing my gratitude for how they treated me. I then wrote that I was accepting a position with another firm, etc. With that typed and ready to go in the mail, I gave the hirer a telephone call. Upon reaching him I explained to him my position again thanking him for the offer. After that conversation was over I sent the letter in the mail. It is important to note the sequence of events. You want to make sure that you talk to the person before they receive your letter. At the same time, you want to make sure that your letter is ready to be sent as soon as you are done with the call.


Here is an example of how to decline a job offer accessed at http://www.career.vt.edu/JOBSEARC/Declining.htm .


Declining a job offer

If you choose to decline a job offer, do so courteously, in writing, after making a phone call.

Never say anything negative in writing about the employer, even if you had a negative experience.

If you had a very negative experience, discuss it with an advisor in Career Services.

A decision to decline an offer is usually based on the fact that another offer is a better fit for your interests and goals. It is fine to state this, without giving details about why the declined offer is not a fit.

It is not necessary to state whose offer you accepted, but you may do so if you wish.

Remember that this employer may be a contact for you in the future. Maintain professional, courteous relations.


Sample (below):

Sample 8.1: Declining a job offer


Also see:

Accepting an offer and withdrawing from the job search

Ethical issues



Sample 8.1: Declining a job offer

900 Town Road

Blacksburg, VA 24060

(540) 555-9009

email: myname@vt.edu


April 20, 2006

Dr. Joan Swietzer

Citizens Network for Foreign Affairs

343 Third Street, NW

Washington, DC 20201-0343

Dear Dr. Swietzer:

Thank you very much for your telephone call and letter offering me the position of Assistant Project Coordinator with the Citizens Network for Foreign Affairs. While I believe firmly in the mission of your organization and appreciate the challenging opportunity you offer, I have had another offer which I believe more closely matches my current career goals and interests. Therefore, although it was a difficult decision, as I explained when we spoke by phone this morning, I must decline your offer. I do appreciate all the courtesy and hospitality extended to me by your office, and I wish you well in your endeavors.

In the position I have accepted with Public Policy Watch, I will occasionally be on Capitol Hill to attend hearings and monitor legislation, so I hope we can get together again and talk about common interests.


Best regards,
(your signature)

Chris Hancock

No comments: