Saturday, July 21, 2007

Acknowledging a job offer

You've received a job offer, it is everything you ever dreamed it would be, yet you aren't quite prepared to make a final decision...I had not realized that acknowledging that you received the job offer was important before, but here is some good guidelines about acknowledging that you received a job offer:


Courtesy dictates that you acknowledge a written job offer, even if you are not ready to accept or decline it. Take note of the details of the offer, as specified in your offer letter, and respond appropriately.

Items to remember:

•Thank the employer for the opportunity presented.

•Indicate that you understand the terms of the offer, or if you don’t, ask for clarification.

•A smart employer will know that you need to consider various employment options in order to make a wise decision; you may need to compare the offer to another pending offer.

•However, you may need to make a decision before you know whether or not you will receive another offer.

Here is a sample:


Sample 6.1: Acknowledging a job offer, neither accepting nor declining

444 University Road

Blacksburg, VA 24060

(540) 555-9876


July 1, 2007

Mr. Chris Afton

Grand Hotel Inc.

8899 Jefferson Street

Roanoke, VA 24022

Dear Mr. Afton:

I am acknowledging your letter offering me the catering and sales representative position with Grand Hotel, Incorporated. Thank you very much for offering me this exciting opportunity. The terms of your offer are clear, and I am certain I will be able to give you a response by your requested deadline of July 16. I appreciate your allowing me ample time to consider your offer so that I can be sure my decision will be in the best interest of both my career goals and the needs of your corporation.

In the meantime, should I have any questions, I will call you. Please do not hesitate to call me if I can provide you with any needed information.

Yours truly,

George Guthrie


No comments: