Friday, May 18, 2007

Preparing, Part I

I have interviewed for full time job positions after college three times as well as for scholarships and two jobs in high school. In my research and working with a recruiter, there are a few main points that continually come up: be prepared, be professional, be enthusiastic, and answer questions directly. I came across a guide at the following web site: http://www.stylewizard.com/career/intguide.html. It offers suggestions of ways to prepare, act, and follow up an interview. Currently I am going to focus on preparation before interviews, specifically your own goals and researching the company.


On a personal level, goals that the candidate has for himself/herself needs to be considered. Questions that can be asked are: Am I open to relocation? Does the company's values and views support my own? Knowing what I do about the people who currently work there, would I be a good fit? Does the company and position offer me the potential for future advancement?


Before the interview it may be impossible to know the complete culture of the company, however, researching the company will provide a start. A candidate should gain as much knowledge as they can about the company from the company's website, and through recent news. Candidates should also be looking at the company's competitors. Researching competitors not only shows that you are aware of "what the other guys are doing" but you may also find that another company would be a better fit for you. In addition, think of questions you have about the company and where it is headed when you do your research. The interviewer will recognize that you are serious about the position as well as committed to learning.

This is just the beginning of the preparation phase and through my research I will continue to add tips for the preparation.