Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Big Call

Let's assume you sent a resume that completely wowed the employer. They have now called you asking you to come in for an interview. (If talking to them on the phone, make sure you are standing up if possible and using gestures. You will sound more up-beat and enthusiastic.) In scheduling the interview, the employer will likely have some times in mind that would work for them. While it is best to try to fit your schedule to theirs, do not be afraid of asking for other options.

In my own experience, I was asked to come to two interviews right in the middle of two days during which I had four major exams. I explained my dilemma to the interviewers who were very helpful and gracious in working out another time for me. This helped me not only because I could focus time on exams when I needed to, but I was also able to make a better impression than if I would have been overwhelmed.

While in my example it was exams, maybe you have something else that already is tipping the scales for you without squeezing in an interview. Try to cut back on activities preceding the interview and make sure you get your rest before the interview. It is common sense that a rested and refreshed individual will perform better than a tired, worn out individual all other things being equal. If an interview is already scheduled but a conflict comes up, medical emergency, family death, etc., let the interviewer know immediately and tell them frankly what your reason is. There is no reason to make up an excuse, they are human and will understand. If they do not understand, maybe it is not somebody you would want to work for anyway.


Take a few minutes to think of some things that relax you and be ready to pull them out when it is time to interview! Now that you have scheduled the interview, its time to start thinking about apparel ... the topic for the next posting.

No comments: